Monday, October 8, 2007

Why are you here?

While making rounds I was trying to decide which patients were in the hospital due to their own fault. Lets see- the incoherent confused old man with DTs due to excessive ETOH? The several COPD'ers who smoked like chimneys? (one still does - why we have someone in the hospital on breathing treatments and O2 yet allow them to go out to smoke is beyond me) ATV accident resulting in fx ribs and collapsed lung but no insurance? So if you can afford an ATV to mess around on - maybe you can afford those health insurance premiums? Non compliant diabetics with all kinds of problems due to non compliance? 400lb + obese with multiple health problems all related to obesity?
So really the only one not at fault would be the small baby with RSV. Once again no insurance of course, but they do have 5 kids under 5yrs of age. Maybe a few less kids and a few more insurance premiums?
Anyway I have decided this life is not for me. I have resigned so am working out my notice. Working in hospitals these days sucks - if they are badly managed and dysfunctional like this one - its pure hell. Ever onward.... have started applying for new jobs already!!
The nurses here are mostly nice although somewhat whiny and disagreeable at times. Everyone has their own personal agenda it seems. When I trained in UK in the 70s it was all about the patients. It has changed there as well. Are we all lazy and self centered now? I dont think I am - I just can't function in an environment that is so ghastly and inefficient when I am not in a position to change anything. This hospital will not survive in the current healthcare environment if some huge changes are not made very quickly. It is already floundering but they resent anyone new coming in and pointing out that they are out of date and there is more than one way to do something. Anything I changed was promptly switched back with no reason given. Except once when I was told that a secretary "didnt want to" do something I had assigned her. Yeah thats a good reason to dump a clerical function back onto nursing. Now she can sit in the cafeteria for even longer!! BUH BYE!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that you are looking for a new job. I am in the same boat as well. I hope to have one clinched on Monday but not with a doctor that I particularly know anything about. It boggles the mind when it comes to the way patients damage themselves! There are too many people who would follow our instructions happily if they could afford it. Sad!